Bishops Green, Hampshire
Bishops Green is a small rural village located approximately 4 miles to the south east of Newbury, Berkshire and 14 miles North West of Basingstoke, Hampshire. Despite having a Newbury postal address and Newbury telephone code, the village lies just within the border of Hampshire in the Borough of Basingstoke & Deane. The village is dominated by two housing estates.
High Concentration of
children and young people
Demographic statistics reveal a high concentration of children and young people with almost half the population (47%) under 24 years old and 36% under 16 years old.
Information from the Indices of Multiple Deprivation and the high proportion of Council Tax Benefit recipients enabled Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council to recognise Bishops Green as the most deprived rural ward in the Borough.
Bishops Green and Greenham Common
In 1941, Greenham Common was commandeered by the government for one of 50 new wartime airfields in the South East. By 1942, the RAF had requisitioned land at Bishops Green for accommodation. After World War Two, the base was handed over to the USAAF, and became a key strategic base during the Cold War.
The Nissen huts at Bishops Green were used to re-house local families, and in the early 1950s, Basingstoke Rural District Council replaced them with 95 houses. Next to this site, the US Air Force built a new housing estate - doubling the size of the community. One of the Nissen huts was retained as a village hall. When the Americans left the area in 1992, the 'American' homes transferred to Sovereign Housing Association.
Three years later, Basingstoke & Deane Borough Council transferred its former council homes to Sentinel Housing Association. The Ashlands estate was poorly designed and the homes were of poorer quality. The isolated estate became prone to vandalism and antisocial behaviour.
New Village Hall and Shop
In 2004 Basingstoke & Deane Borough Council replaced the wartime village hall with a new Village Hall, complete with dedicated Youth Room. A Village Shop was built adjoining the Village Hall.
In 2006 Sentinel secured planning consent to replace the 95 homes with 148 new properties. The new development creates hard and soft landscaped areas providing safe pedestrian and vehicle routes through the estate. The redevelopment aims to deliver wider public use as well as better community integration.